Values and Guiding Principles
The following values and guiding principles help to define Sepsis Innovation Collaborative (SIC)’s organizational culture and how it seeks to achieve its goals and serve the public good. SIC and its member stakeholders are committed to adhering to the guiding principles and the values that inform those principles at all times.
- Collaboration: SIC is built on this principle—all other principles flow from the foundational commitment to fostering an environment that encourages the sharing of information, insights, strategies, and resources in pursuit of a common goal.
- Patient-centric: SIC is respectful of, and responsive to, patient preferences, needs, and values, and strives to ensure that patient values guide all decisions.
- Inclusion: SIC commits to working cooperatively with all individuals and groups, with patients and patient advocacy organizations, with for-profit and not-for-profit corporations and organizations, and with government agencies committed to fostering and expediting innovation to accomplish its mission and realize its vision. SIC strives to cultivating a welcoming environment where differences are embraced, valued, and respected.
- Diversity: SIC strives for balanced and diverse representation in its leadership and is committed to fostering diversity in the collaborative community, including many communities, identities, races, ethnicities, backgrounds, abilities, cultures, and beliefs.
- Equity: SIC recognizes that policies, practices, informal processes, and language created by and for particular groups of people, with a default norm in mind, produce structural barriers that limit access and inclusion for other individuals and groups. It is in recognition of this reality that SIC commits to the consistent and systematic fair, just, and impartial treatment of all individuals and will ensure that policies, processes, and practices foster fairness and belonging.
- Accountability: SIC commits to the continual assessment of its policies, practices, and processes to determine their effectiveness in pursuit of its mission.
- Transparency: SIC embraces transparency to promote fair treatment and access to opportunities for all stakeholder members and commits to providing accurate and timely reports of its activities to stakeholders.
- Evidence-based: SIC is underpinned by the expertise of its stakeholder members and the shared learnings demonstrated through available evidence and knowledge. The SIC strives to reach decisions based on the most sound and objective available evidence-based research.